Bee Boxes

Monday, April 11, 2016

Warre Beekeeper Day 3

Today is day three since I have installed bees into two Warre Beehives. As a new Warre beekeeper I have had to make some changes to the hives.  The top feeders I made were taken out as the screen I used to keep the bees in the feeding side did not work. The bees were able to squeeze through the holes and I lost about 10 bees in each hive as they drowned in the sugar water. I took the top feeder off and put jar feeders in it place.


Today I need to check and see if the queens have been released. I was going to remove the frame that I made to introduce the queen so that I could check the queens release without disturbing the hive but it is cloudy and cool today and not sure I want to expose the hive to the weather as there is a freeze warning for tonight.


I have seen lots of bees in the yard on the wild flowers that are growing in the yard. They are very gentle bees as they have not tried to sting me anytime I have been in the hives or around the hives. Was out in the bee yard yesterday without any protection and they just flew around me as if I was not even there. I did not smoke them when I changed out the top feeders and had no problems with them. I will always try to work my bees without smoking them as I think the smoke disrupts the hive more than it needs to be.


If I decide to work in the bee yard today will post what I did and the results. I will check on the queens release to ensure the queens are freed and in the hive. Hope your day will bee great!

No comments:

Post a Comment