Bee Boxes

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Checked on Warre Beehive

Yesterday was a busy day with studying for Wednesday night Bible study. But we had a warm day so I opened the Warre Beehives and checked to make sure the queens were released.  Monday and Tuesday were too cold to open the hives so waited until it warmed up. 


I again checked on the bees without smoking them. They flew all around me but never acted like they wanted to sting me. I did get bumped a couple of time and I just back off and let them settle down, They were drawing comb but I did not want to pull any out at this time. They are bringing in loads of pollen. and I have followed some of them to wild flowers and they are also getting nectar.


I had some jar feeders in the top of the Warre hives I needed to move them so that I could fix the bottom box that the top bars were not lined up correctly. Well in one of the hives I spilled the sugar water everywhere inside and outside the hive. This caused some robbing from the other Warre beehive so I had to move the opening to the side where the sugar water was not at the entrance. Within about 30 minutes they all returned to their own hives.


I will now wait until the first of May to open the hives and check for eggs and brood.

No comments:

Post a Comment