Bee Boxes

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Making Bees Wax

The other night I decided to take some of the comb from the bee hive that did not make it and attempt to make some bees wax. So, I scraped the old comb from the frames and melted it in a pot I bought from a thrift store. One of the things you need to do is spend as little money as possible keeping your bees. You do not need all the fancy stuff that is sold by those who advertise bee keeping supplies.




I boiled the comb in water to melt the comb and them strained it into another thrift store pot to take as much of the impurities out of the mix. Then I let the mixture cool for about twenty-four hours. After the cool down time I removes the wax that was floating on top of the water. This had some dirt on the underneath side that had to be scraped off.




Now I will save this wax until I have melted the next two batches. Once I have all of the batches finished I will go through the process once again to clean the wax of the impurities still in the wax. When I do that I will again post the process and outcome.




What I learned is that I do not want to do this in the house and next time I will process the comb outside. The comb was full of pollen and it was so strong that my allergies flared up.









No comments:

Post a Comment