Bee Boxes

Thursday, March 31, 2016

Items Added to Warre Hive

One of the best things to do as you build your own bee hives is watch as many videos and read as many blogs as you can. You will learn no only how each hive works but you will see things others have done that you might want to incorporate into your hives.


This what I did when I decided to build my bee hives. There was a company that sold Warre hives and had done some redesigning to the original hive plans. There was one such improvement I believed I wanted to incorporate into my hives. In the picture below you will notice a small square hole in the side of the hive. It is a place where I will insert the queen and will be able to check it without opening up the hive. I will close it up with a piece of wood that will fit in the hole after the queen has bee released. 



The next improvement was the window. I only put on in as I was not sure how if I wanted one in all of them. As I make additional boxes I will add the windows as I can check on my bees again without intruding into the hive.  My goal with these bees is not to be always having to opening up the hive to check their progress. I will have to check within two weeks to make sure the queen is laying and there is brood. In my next article I will show another item I found on the internet that I have added to my hives.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment