Bee Boxes

Monday, March 28, 2016

Adventure In Beekeeping


As I stated earlier, I became interested in beekeeping while reading an article about the loss of about thirty percent of honey bees a year.  But, to be truthful I was really afraid of bees as most people are. 

I began reading articles about honey bees and soon I was watching videos about bees on YouTube. The more I learned the more I became intrigued with these little insects. I learned that they were not aggressive but instead domicile. They will sting but only to protect their home and mostly when they were storing honey.  With the right equipment you can keep stings to just a few. Last year, my first year, I was only stung once.

I decided to only have one hive which was a mistake. Everything that I read said that you should start with two hives. The reason is if one hive does not do well you could use the stronger hive to help build up the weaker hive.  So this year I will have two hives. More about that in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment