Bee Boxes

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Warre Hives

I did a lot of reading and watching videos on types of hives and have decided that the Warre hive is going to be the best one for me.  As I am going to turn 65 this year and hope to work with bees for several years I wanted something that would not be so heavy to move. Also, many who keep back yard bees feel that they are more natural for the bees.


You can buy them at a cost or you can build them yourself. There are many places on the internet that have the instructions on how to build them.  I choose to build my own and although they are not perfect, (most hollow trees are not perfect either), I hope the bees will call them home. I used both scrap wood that I had and new wood that I bought. There was some trial and error but all in all it has been worth it.


I am starting out with three hive boxes and will have to build more before the summer is over. Depending how this year goes I might have one or two more hives in my backyard next year.


No comments:

Post a Comment